Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Bobbi Hat - Free Pattern News Boy Hat



I named this hat "The Bobbi Hat" after Bobbi who sent me a photo of a similar hat, and told me I should go into business and she would take one for the team and be the first one to wear it. So I made it as a gift for her. I found a free pattern on the internet for a news boy hat, but it wasn't quite the right shape, so I created this pattern which worked out much better for me. So I thought I would share this. This pattern is copyrighted by me. Which basically means, make as many hats as you would like for yourself or gifts. Please do not sell the hats you make from this pattern or sell or re-post the pattern. If you want to link to my blog for this pattern, please feel free to do so. I would love to see photos of your finished projects, you can email them to me, just put Bobbi Hat Photo in the subject line.

See the bottom of this post for some more pictures, and some alterations I did.
Double Strand Acrylic or Cotton size 4 Yarn – Just your basic yarn using two strands at once.
(I did discover Caron Simply Soft is too narrow the gauge doesn't match up for me any way.)
Crochet Hook - Size K / 10.5 / 6.5 MM
Gauge: 4” = 9 DC Stitches 4” = 6 Rows of DC
Way way at the bottom of this page I have a chart made up for the hat, for those of you who like to follow charts.

Hat: Start with a magic loop I like the magic loop because it gives a nice closed top to your hat, rather than leaving a hole in the top. It's super simple, click on the words Magic Loop and see a You Tube Video.

Round 1: Chain 3 (counts as stitch here and through out), 9 Double Crochet, Slip Stitch to second chain (top chain) of your first stitch on this round to join. Pull Loop Tight, do not turn (10 stitches)
Round 2: Chain 3, DC in same stitch, *2 DC in each stitch around * Repeat, SS to join round (20 stitches)
Round 3: Chain 3, *2 DC in stitch, 1 DC in stitch * Repeat, SS (30 stitches)
Round 4: Chain 3, DC next stitch, *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 2 stitches * Repeat, SS (40 stitches)
Round 5: Chain 3, DC next 2 stitches, *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 3 stitches * Repeat, SS (50 stitches)
Round 6-10: Chain 3, DC in each stitch, SS to join round, Fasten Off

Brim: Count 14 stitches to the left from where you joined the rounds

Row 1: 2 Single Crochet in this stitch, SC in each of the next 18 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch, chain 1 and turn (chain 1, counts as stitch here and through out) (22 stitches)
Row 2-4:1 SC in each stitch across, chain 1 turn (22 stitches)
Row 5: SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 16 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, chain 1, turn (20 stitches)
Row 6:SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 13 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, chain 1, turn (18 stitches)
Row 7: SC next 2 stitches together, SC next 11 stitches, SC next two stitches together, SC, fasten off(16 stitches)

Finished Edge: Reverse Single Crochet

Start right side where brim connects to hat. Single Crochet in this stitch, then basically just do a single crochet into each stitch but moving to the right as you work rather than to the left. It feels a little awkward at first but soon you will wonder why you never used this stitch to finish off your work before. The extra twist in the yarn gives the hat a very nice finished edge. Continue working all the way around the hat and across the brim to you are back where you started. Fasten off.

(If this stitch is more than you want to do right now, a standard single crochet all the way around will work too.)

Weave in all ends & trim.

Flower:
Use a single strand of yarn
Crochet Hook Size: F
Gauge is not important

Start with a magic loop again (3 Colors – Color A = Center of flower, Color B = Inside row of petals, Color C = Outside row of petals.)

Round 1: Color A - Chain 1, 6 Single Crochet, join with a slip stitch (6 stitches) (my chain one is difficult for me to crochet into here so I don't count it as a stitch, and just skip over it)
Round 2: Chain 1, SC in the same stitch, 2 SC in each of the next stitches, join with SS, fasten off (12 stitches)
Round 3: Switch to Color B = *SC in first Stitch, Chain 1, SC in next stitch, *Repeat, join with SS (6 Chain Spaces, 12 SC)
Round 4: Chain 1, * Into Chain Space 1 HDC, 3 DC, 1 HDC, SS into next 2 SC Stitches, *Repeat, fasten off (42 stitches)
Round 5: Change to Color C = Turn flower over to back side, SC into 1st SS, * Chain 2, skip, next SS & Petal work, SC into next 1st SS of next group forming a petal, *Repeat, SS into first SC you made in this round to join. (You will have 6 chain spaces)
Round 6: Working in Chain Space, 1 SC, 1 Half Double Crochet, 1 DC, 3 treble Crochet, 1 DC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, repeat in each chain space around the flower, Join with a SS to first stitch you made in this round. Fasten off.

Weave in and trim off all ends but three. One strand that matches the center of flower, weave in until it gets to the center of the flower. Thread it through to the front of the flower. Use this strand to attach the button in the center if you wish to have a button. The remaining two strands (color that matches your hat best should be used here), weave in but don't trim off. I like to weave in so I have one end on the top of the middle section of the flower, and one on the bottom. You will use these ends to tie flower to hat after ribbon is attached. Stick both ends through around a stitch or two. Temporarily tie and try your hat on to make sure it is where you want it. Once you are happy with it, knot it well, and trim the ends.

Ribbon:

the crochet hat is somewhat stretchy, however the decorative ribbon is not. I found this part a bit tricky to attach correctly. To measure out ribbon, I put the hat on so it was stretched out to correct size. Measure around outside of hat, or just wrap ribbon around I found that easier. I placed the ribbon just above the reverse crochet stitch (finished edge) row. Add about one and a half foot of ribbon to your measurement for the bow. I used a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon in four spots. I kept the hat on and used a mirror, to wrap the ribbon around and get the ends hanging even. Pinched this area of the ribbon together with the hat. Took everything off and glued the ribbon ends right where I want the flower to be. My location was just behind where the brim meets the hat. Over lapping the ends just a bit with the tails pointing up to where the loops of the bow will be. Then I made the loops, and glued these ends down with the remaining tails pointed downward and some what out to each side. Make sure you are happy with how your bow lays before gluing. (note: If you have double sided ribbon you can just fold the ribbon over to make loops, it your ribbon is only pretty on one side, it is a bit more difficult, but you can make loops without folding the ribbon.) Then I put the hat back on my head. Straightened the ribbon again in the mirror. Pinched up the ribbon and the hat on the opposite side of my head. Hold these two together and go glue just a dot. Repeat for the front and the back. Attaching the ribbon in just these four areas, allows the ribbon to adjust when you are putting the hat on. When the hat in not on you will notice some slack in the ribbon this is normal.

Now tie your flower on over the center of the bow.


Little Girl version, Round 5 of hat I only did every other increase so I ended with 45 stitches, Row 10 I did as half double crochets instead of double crochets, to make it a tiny bit shorter. On the brim I skipped row 4 and row 7. I decided to weave the ribbon through. Under one stitch, over three, then hot glued the ends as above behind the flower.
This little girl hat I used Caron Simply Soft Yarn, so even following the pattern as written the hat turns out somewhat smaller. I changed this one up a bit just to add some more colors, in thinner stripes. Row 6 I did as half double crochets in a different color, Row 7 & 8, again as half double crochets and back to original color. Row 9 Double Crochets again. I wanted the hat to fit a little more snug around her ears, so I decreased together every 9 & 10th stitch so I was back to 45 stitches on this last row. I decided to make the edging show up a little more, did it with a single strand only of a bright color and made the flower to match.

Here is Aleatra's hat, same as Bobbi's.

9 comments:

Julia Schwartz said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I have been looking for a program that I can make my own diagrams for my crochet patterns. What program do you use?

Dana White said...

Thank you! I use Open Office http://www.openoffice.org/ It's a free program that works similar to Microsoft Office, works on Mac, Windows and Linux. Inside this program there is several programs, I use the Drawing program. Just using the basic line tool I draw my shape, then rotate, copy and paste as needed. Then you can export as a jpg, or pdf. I would think there would be a faster program out there meant for doing this, but since I'm use to using vector art programs at work this works fairly simple for me.

Julia Schwartz said...

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you. Most of the ones that I have found work more like an excel program, and to me looks more complicated than just reading it.

Dana White said...

If you download Open Office, you can email me (if you click on the word EMAIL at the top of this blog entry where I talk about sending me photos) I can send you my original file before I exported it as a jpg. Then you can play around with the shapes without having to start from scratch. Please put "Crochet Chart Bobbi Hat" in the subject line so I don't delete as spam.

Anonymous said...

What size is the the little girl hat? I was looking for hat sizes newborn and up. Also for a 2 year old boy.

Thanks
ashley.farless@gmail.com

Dana White said...

The Caron Simply Soft Hat (Purple & Grey, with bright Salmon color edging) fits my 14 month old right now. Her head circumference is almost 19".

The Brown hat with the ribbon weaved through it a bit big and I think will fit her this fall. So I would say 18 month to 2 two years old.

They do stretch some as well, so I think she could wear them for some time.

Anonymous said...

I have a niece named Bobbi you is going through chemo and she wanted me to make her a hat with a small brim just like yours. The fact that you call it the Bobbi Hat is perfect. I can't wait to see how they turn out for her.

Dana White said...

Oh that is perfect. I hope she loves it!

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for different kinds of hats...and this one I love. Thank you I can't wait to make one for me, I just cut my hair short...lol