Sunday, May 15, 2011

Basic Knit Infant Hat

Just a quick note before we get to the pattern. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am fund raising for Relay for Life, Hope to find a Cure for Cancer. I have a Butterfly Hat pattern I am selling just for this cause. Please check out the link in the upper right corner of my blog to read our story and donate if you can. Thanks!

Basic Knit Infant Hat ~ Size 3 months
Over all size with out stretching 13" circumference 5.5" high
US size 10, 6mm circular needle 16" ~ Gage 7 stitches = 2"
I used Red Heart Camouflage 0971
Using this large of a needle makes for a very stretchy, lighter hat for the spring and fall.

Cast on 48 stitches, place a stitch marker and join without twisting yarn.
Row 1 - 7: * k2, p2 * Repeat to end
Row 8 - 26: knit
Row 27: * k2tg, k6 * repeat to end (42 stitches)
(tip: I like to place a stitch marker before I begin each repeat, then I don't have to keep count for the remaining rows)
Row 28: * k2tg, k5 * repeat to end (36 stitches)
Row 29: * k2tg, k4 * repeat to end (30 stitches)
Row 30: * k2tg, k3 * repeat to end (24 stitches)
Row 31: * k2tg, k2 * repeat to end (18 stitches)
Row 32: * k2tg, k1 * repeat to end (12 stitches)

Cut yarn long enough to thread through remaining loops on on hook, pull tight and weave in ends.

Decreasing quickly with out a knit all row in between decreases makes the hat have a flatter top, a little more boyish looking I think.

Ok Here is my first attempt at a knitting chart - click on it to view larger

No comments: